Friday 9 April 2010

Anger Management

I seem to be keeping up my past record of starting well and quietly fizzling out when it comes to blogging. Though to be fair this blog hasn't been helped much by the fact I became so utterly addicted to Modern Warfare 2. There's only so much you can write about it after all, and the fact I've now come to realise is that I wasn't actually enjoying it all that much! No enjoyment = no motivation to write about it! That's not strictly true, I still enjoy it enough to drop in every now and then, but I came to realise that I'd end up rage quitting the damn game almost every time, several hundred percent angrier than when I started. Computer games are meant to be a source of fun and enjoyment, not of ulcers, embolisms and broken control pads! I was so determined to get better at the game and to race to tenth prestige that I lost sight of the fact I was meant to be enjoying the game along the way. I was putting in at least four hours a day, almost every day, and if I wasn't getting positive kill/death ratios in every game I was getting down on myself. I'd get ridiculously angry if I got killed in a suspicious way, ready to call anyone and everyone who killed me a cheating c*nt as soon as look at them!

Then, one of my old PlanetSide outfit buddys got in touch to let me know that a bunch of those guys were playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on PC and having a blast, and that I should go join them. So I did. And I instantly saw what I was missing in MW2. FUN! Playing with friends FOR A LAUGH, not for competition. BFBC2 is a very different beast from MW2, so much so that I don't think it's really fair to even compare the two. BFBC2 is so much more squad centric, it's also slower paced and played out over much bigger maps, all of which means that deaths rarely reach double figures, even though the matches last about twice as long as a MW2 match, (in which it is quite possible, and even usual depending on the game type, to die thirty or more times!) On the whole it's a much more relaxing game to play, despite the fact that it's still a full on first-person-shooter, full of action and explosions and tanks and helicopters!

It's given me the opportunity to take a step back from my MW2 obsession and take a look at what I really want from the game now. I'm still going to get to tenth prestige, (I'm currently level 45 of fourth prestige), but I realise now it's a marathon, not a sprint. I can afford to take my time getting there, and enjoy playing with my friends as I do, not trying to race them to the finish.

I'll leave it there for this update, but there's plenty more to come now that my gaming life has become so much healthier. I've even dipped my toe back into the world of MMO's that I'd become so disenchanted with and I'm really enjoying it!
Until next time, gentle reader...

No comments:

Post a Comment